- Cancer is the single biggest killer in the UK.
- Every year, more than 150,000 people die from cancer.
- Cancer is the cause of a quarter of all deaths in the UK.
- Lung cancer is the most common killer for women, followed by breast cancer.
- Lung cancer is also the most common killer for men.
- Each year in the UK over 37,000 men and women are diagnosed with lung cancer.
- Smoking is the single most important cause of preventable disease and premature death: 90 per cent of all lung cancers are caused by smoking, either directly or through indirect exposure (ASH).